The Natural Limits of Chicken Science :)
- An argument to show that it is irrational to extrapolate "natural law" to all of reality.
- A brilliant chicken-scientist noticed that the farmer came every day to feed it.
- The chicken-scientist predicted that the farmer would continue to bring food every day.
- And because this happened with such regularity (without seeming volition on the part of the farmer), the chicken-scientist codified the farmer and the noon-time feeding into a mathematical natural law.
- Other Chicken-Scientists concluded that the chicken had correctly 'extrapolated' its observations into a theory, and that each feeding time added justification to that theory.
Then one day…
- Then one day the farmer came and wrung the chicken's neck ...
- This justifies the conclusion that “natural law” as codified by Chicken science
(or Human science for that matter) can not be rationally extrapolated to all of reality.
- In other words, it is IRRATIONAL to extrapolate "natural law", as codified by Human Science,
to all of reality.
- Wishing you Peace and Love through Jesus Christ.
Postscript 1: Limits of Scientific Method
- P.S.1 This parable above is presented tongue-in-cheek. However I think it illustrates
well the fact that the scientific method is limited in its scope and application. I am led to
conclude that Atheist beliefs that “only scientifically demonstrated truth-statements are valid” are
ultimately irrational, i.e., the beliefs are ultimately irrational and “Atheist-faith-based”.
Postscript 2: A model of “natural law” in Christian Theism
- P.S.2 A parallel to the parable above: One model within Christian Theism presents ‘natural law’ as codifying the regularity of behavior of God’s created-universe. In other words, God created matter with certain intrinsic properties and regularity of behavior. This regular behavior, we humans observe and codify as “natural law”. In this model, God CAN volitionally choose to override the “created-natural-behavior” of some part of the matter in this universe; that overriding would not necessarily obey what we call “natural law”… and such an event could be called a “miracle”.
Postscript 3: Another model of “natural law” in Christian Theism
- P.S.3 A parallel to the parable above: Another model within Christian Theism presents
‘natural law’ as codifying the regularity of God’s continuing action in the universe. In other words,
matter can’t exist by itself, but depends on the Creator Supermind for its continued existence and regularity of behavior. This regular behavior, we humans observe and codify as “natural law”. In this model, God CAN volitionally choose to do something different with some part of the matter in this universe; that “something different” would not necessarily obey what we call “natural law”… and such an event could be called a “miracle”.